The Swanson Rail Park and Ride was completed by JFC on the KiwiRail land, west of the Swanson Rail Station. The objective of the project was to provide a safe and convenient car parking space to promote rail commuter patronage.
The site was previously a derelict area in Swanson, and the topography of the land required extensive earthwork reshaping and safe disposal of contaminated soil prior to construction works.
Retaining walls were added and significant landscaping undertaken to improve aesthetics. Footpaths were laid making it safer and easier for the community to access the park and ride. The works also included the installation of a complex drainage system, which included an attenuation tank, large 1,800mm manholes, rain gardens, sewer live relocations and stormwater drainage systems.
The project involved working in high risk areas, with the site being situated close to a busy street near a park and petrol station, as well as the proximity to the KiwiRail Corridor. JFC worked closely with all involved stakeholders to ensure minimal disruption and safe working practices.
Scope of Works
• Construction of Park and Ride Facility (136 spaces constructed)
• Major earthworks and removal of spoil to licensed landfill site
• Installation of a complex drainage system, including an attenuation tank, 1,800mm manholes, rain gardens, sewer live relocations and stormwater drainage systems
• Construction of a 5m high timber retaining wall
• Installation of hard and soft landscaping
• Working in high risk areas, including a busy street, petrol station and Kiwi Rail corridor