Karangahape Road is a colourful hub and popular destination, with a flourishing residential and business community. As one of the busiest roads in the region, thousands of people travel along it daily. This growth is set to continue with a 30-year projection of a million more people calling Auckland home.
This enhancement represents a joint project between Auckland Council and Auckland Transport that aims to preserve the road’s unique character, while creating a street environment that supports the local community and meets the needs of a growing population.
The scope of works includes:
– Decluttering footpaths creating more space for people
– Adding a cycleway in each direction connecting to existing and planned cycleways
– Adding more bike parking, lighting and street furniture
– Adding peak hour bus lanes to improve the reliability and predictably of bus services
– Enhancing the natural environment with rain gardens, landscaping, vegetation and trees
– Creating more opportunities for outdoor dining and street activities
– Creating an environment that reflects Māori cultural values.