Victoria Square is a key square in central Christchurch. Originally known as Market Place or Market Square, it was originally the site of market days, fairs, and trade before its redevelopment in 1896–1897 into a park. But after the 2011 earthquake, the area was Red Zoned and many of the surfaces and structures in the square were severely damaged.
In a joint venture with City Care, JFC is restoring the square and making it safer and more accessible. Our work will provide enhanced pedestrian and cycling access via widened footpaths, repaired and reconstructed paving, improved drainage and planting. The restoration design creates new links with nearby features like the Promenade, and includes new elements that better reflect shared Māori and European heritage and the Treaty relationship. The historic Bowker Fountain, which hasn’t worked properly for many years, will be fully restored and a new punt stop will be added adjacent to the Town Hall.