JFC were awarded the opportunity to deliver a modern refresh of one of the North Shore’s key urban entertainment hubs. The purpose of this project is to revitalise the street to create a safer, more vibrant and attractive area, improve water quality and correct slumping footpaths and carriageway. This included a pedestrianised plaza, road improvements providing for one-way traffic flows and a dedicated cycleway.
JFC’s scope for this project consisted of:
- Wider high-quality pavements, new timber seating and stonework walls offering more space for pedestrians, outdoor dining and events
- New rain gardens now actively cleaning water run-off from Hurstmere Road before it drains to Takapuna Beach
- Garden beds with native plantings
- New PVC pipe water main
- New road to replace the old subsiding carriageway
- New road direction – Hurstmere Road is now one-way for north-bound traffic between Lake Road and Anzac Street with a safer speed limit of 30km